Modifying your registry settings should help you easily fix this error
It is quite common to encounter various problems on your Windows device and the 0x00001B error is a common example. This problem can prevent you from connecting your printer to a computer and will usually display an error message such as Operation failed with error 0x000001B.
It is quite difficult to narrow down the cause of this problem, but some common factors include driver issues, hardware problems, corrupt or missing files, malware issues, incorrect registry entries, and conflict between different Windows versions. This guide will provide you with the best solutions for this issue.
There are various ways to troubleshoot this error and we recommend starting with more basic steps before making significant changes to your system.
- The first step is to restart your PC and any other device that may have caused this problem.
- Next, you should remove any newly downloaded applications that may be the source of the error message. Sometimes, they may disrupt your Windows’ regular operation and cause this error.
- Perform a system scan using reliable antivirus software to look for malware or viruses that could be the trigger for this error. If you do not have effective antivirus software, check out this guide outlining the most reliable antivirus options that you can use today.
If the above steps do not work, go ahead with our more robust solutions below.
1. Perform a SFC scan
The 0x00001B error on Windows computers is often triggered by corrupt or bad system files, because any time the OS has to use a corrupted file, the execution will fail. On Windows devices, the SFC scan is a command line utility meant to fix corruption. It does this by scanning system files and repairing or replacing any corruption found. You may run the utility using the steps below.
- Press the Windows + R keys to bring up the Run dialogue, type cmd in the text field, then hold Ctrl + Shift + Enter simultaneously to open the command prompt in administrator mode.
- In the command prompt, input the command below and hit Enter.
- Allow the command to run completely and check to see if the 0x00001B error has been fixed.
2. Update your Windows operating system
You could also be facing this problem as a result of an outdated operating system. Regularly performing a system update will equip your device with the latest software patches which can prevent numerous errors, including 0x00001B errors. Update your PC by following the steps below.
- Open Settings by pressing Windows + I together.
- Choose Update & Security.
- On the left side of your screen, choose Windows Update, then click Check for updates on the right.
- If any update is available, download and install it.
3. Remove KB5005565
KB5005565 is a security patch released by Microsoft and it is known to resolve many security issues, but sometimes, it could also be a factor for the 0x00001B error. If you observe this problem after installing KB5005565, we recommend uninstalling it. Follow the steps below to remove it.
- Hold Windows + I to open the Settings app.
- Secondly, choose Update & Security.
- Click the View update history option, then select Uninstall updates.
- Select Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB5005565) and click Uninstall.
- If the problem persists, uninstall the KB5005627 and KB5005563 Windows updates by following the same steps.
4. Edit registry settings
Editing the registry settings can easily help you fix the 0x00001b error by disabling the CVE-2021-1678 mitigation. This mitigation was implemented by Microsoft to fix a security vulnerability in the Windows Print Spooler, but it can also cause the error 0x00001b. Follow the steps below to edit the registry settings.
- Open the Run dialogue by pressing Windows + R, type regedit in the text field, and hit Enter.
- Secondly, go to the path below.
- Right-click on the Print option, select New, and pick a Dword that corresponds to your system architecture.
- Rename the new Dword as RpcAuthnLevelPrivacyEnabled, double-click on it, and set the value to 0.
- Finally, restart your printer spooler and see if the problem has been fixed.
5. Update your device drivers
Sometimes, this error could be caused by a conflict between two device drivers, or a bug in the device driver could trigger this error. Updating your drivers to the latest versions will help resolve these issues, and ultimately get rid of the 0x00001B error. The steps below will show you how to update your drivers.
- Right-click on the Windows icon on your screen and choose Device Manager.
- Choose the needed driver, expand it, and pick Update driver.
- Next, pick Search automatically for drivers.
- Finally, after the update is complete, check to see if the problem has been resolved.
1. How do I fix the printer operation failed with error 0x000001B?
- Restart the printer spooler.
- Install all Windows updates.
- Disable the CVE-2021-1678 Registry Fix.
- Manually install the printer.
- Remove any recently installed software.
2. Why Windows 11 cannot connect to the printer
- Your printer might not be properly connected or is not turned on.
- There might be a problem with the print spooler service which could lead to this error.
- The printer might not be on the same network as your PC.
- A firewall also can block the printer.
Wrapping things up
We have been able to comprehensively outline the various steps required to properly troubleshoot 0x00001B related errors. Ensure to follow these steps diligently to get a positive result.
If you need further guidance or clarification concerning this issue, reach out to us via the comment section below.