Solving the Windows Installation Dilemma: Troubleshooting Error Code 0x80070002 0x20009
The error 0x80070002 0x20009 indicates that an issue occurred with the setup. The system is having problems finding the installation files. The associated message reads, “The installation failed in the Safe_OS with an error during PREPARE_ROLLBACK operation.”
This error usually occurs during a Windows upgrade. The possible causes of this error include corrupted or missing system files, incompatible drivers, insufficient disk space, hardware problems, or external storage devices. This article provides the best solution for this problem.
Unplug Any Secondary Hard Drive
Sometimes, the cause of this error could be external storage devices like secondary hard drives and optical drives. During the Windows installation process, these devices may be accessed even if they aren’t essential, which can lead to errors.
We recommend unplugging any secondary and optical hard drives before installing Windows to avoid this. This workaround has proven effective for many users, but it’s important to remember that it’s not a guaranteed solution and may not work for everyone.
Fix 0x80070002 0x20009 by performing an SFC scan
Performing the SFC scan with the built-in System File Checker (SFC) tool can help to keep your Windows system running smoothly. It scans for corrupted files causing issues, like the 0x80070002 0x20009 error. After the scan, reboot before installing the latest Windows version.
To perform an SFC scan, use the following steps:
- Press the Windows and S keys together and type cmd in the text field.
- Then, choose the Run as administrator option on the right side to start the Command Prompt with administrator privileges.
- Once the User Account Control prompts you, select Yes to continue.
- When the Command Prompt displays, enter the following command into the prompt and tap the Enter key to start an SFC scan:
- Once the scan is complete, copy and paste the command below and press the Enter key to run the command:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- Finally, it would be best to restart your computer to implement repairs.
Repair 0x80070002 0x20009 by performing system drivers update
Performing a system driver update can assist you in fixing the 0x80070002 0x20009 error by confirming that your computer’s drivers are compatible with the new version of Windows. Windows checks for driver compatibility during installation. Windows will not install new updates if any driver is not compatible.
Here is how to do it:
- Hold the Windows and I keys simultaneously to launch the Settings window.
- Then, click the Windows Update option next.
- Afterward, select Advanced Options.
- Then, tap the Optional updates option next.
- Once in the options, expand the Driver Updates section, select the appropriate drive, Download, and Install all the available updates.
- Lastly, restart your computer.
Perform clean boot to fix 0x80070002 0x20009
Performing a clean boot can help to fish out conflicts. This process temporarily disables all non-essential startup programs and services. This process can help to detect and resolve programs and Windows conflicts, which can sometimes cause installation errors. Here is how to do it:
- Hold the Windows and R keys to open the Run dialog box, type msconfig in the Run entry field, and press Enter.
- Then, locate the Services tab, click on it, and check the Hide all Microsoft services box.
- Click on the Disable all button and then click Apply.
- Select the Startup tab and then click Open Task Manager.
- Now right-click on the first enabled app on the Task Manager tab and click Disable.
- Finally, follow step 6 to disable all enabled applications one after the other.
- After disabling the apps, close Task Manager.
- Restart your PC.
Install Windows Update in Safe Mode
Installing Windows Update in Safe Mode can help to fix error 0x80070002 0x20009 by temporarily deactivating any third-party software or services that may be causing the error. This process can also help detect and fix any corrupted system files that may prevent the update from being installed successfully.
To install Windows Update in Safe Mode, follow these steps:
- Click the Power icon on the login screen, hold Shift, and select Restart.
- Choose Troubleshoot from the menu options.
- Select Advanced options.
- Afterward, click Advanced options to access other options. Now click Startup Settings.
- After that, click Restart.
- Press 5 on your keyboard to start Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
- Once Windows starts in Safe Mode, open Settings, open Updates & Security, and click Update now.
Run the Windows Update troubleshooter
The Windows Update troubleshooter tool helps to fix problems with Windows Update. It can scan for and fix common problems like missing or corrupted files, incorrect settings, and network connection issues. Use the following steps to complete troubleshooting:
- Firstly, open the computer’s Settings by pressing the Windows key + I together.
- Then, click on System on the left pane.
- After that, click on Troubleshoot and select Other troubleshooters.
- When you see the list, select Windows Update from the available options and click the Run button.
- Finally, allow the Windows Update troubleshooter to run for a while to scan and detect the issues in your computer.
- Finally, select the appropriate response when prompted.
In conclusion, we explored the essence of checking system requirements and tackling potential software conflicts. Additionally, we examined the benefit of using built-in Windows tools like the Windows Update Troubleshooter and SFC to fix underlying issues.
Following our guide diligently can significantly enhance your opportunities of a successful Windows installation, free from the constraints of error code 0x80070002 0x20009. Don’t hesitate to seek further assistance from Microsoft support or online communities if you experience issues.