Troubleshooting Steps to Resolve Work Folder Sync Error 0x8007017c on Windows
The 0x8007017C error prevents Work Folders from synchronizing correctly on your computer. The error code generates the message “The cloud operation is invalid.”
This error can occur when you have the December 8, 2020—KB4592449 (OS Builds 18362.1256 and 18363.1256) update installed and the on-demand file access feature is enabled. We will provide solutions that you will easily apply to solve this problem.
We recommend you do the following quick fixes before applying the solutions below:
- Restart your PC. This can close processes that have issues and may help resolve the synchronization issues.
- Clean your disk to create space for your PC. You may get a new storage device or delete unwanted files.
Usually, updating Windows includes security patches and bug fixes. However, on rare occasions, updates may be buggy. If you got the December 8, 2020—KB4592449, it may trigger this sync error. You should look out for more recent updates that will correct the bug. Follow the steps below.
- Press Windows + I keys simultaneously to launch Settings.
- Click Windows Update and click the Check for updates button to scan for new updates.
- If Windows has a latest update, it will automatically detect it. Follow the instructions to update Windows.
- Finally, restart your computer.
Drivers are a vital connecting link between hardware and software components of your operating system. When they are corrupted, you may expect bugs in some functionality, including vital folder features. You should update any outdated drivers and verify it fixes the 0x8007017c file sync error.
- Hit the Windows and I keys to open the Settings window.
- Click the Windows Update option afterward.
- Then, select Advanced Options.
- Click the Optional updates option.
- After that, expand the Driver Updates section, select the appropriate drive, Download, and Install all the available updates.
- Lastly, restart your computer.
Deactivate your antivirus
Sometimes, antivirus software can interrupt syncing and interfere with Work Folders, leading to the error code 0x8007017c. That’s why we recommend using reputable antivirus software always. This helps to prevent antivirus that sometimes blocks important Work Folders file operations. Here are the steps to use.
- Expand the Show hidden icons arrow in the Taskbar.
- Then, click on the antivirus icon and deactivate the app.
Uninstall the KB4592449 Update
Microsoft confirmed that the KB4592449 update for Windows 10 can lead to this error. You can uninstall this update to solve this issue. Here are the steps.
- Open the Settings by holding Windows and I keys simultaneously and click on Windows Update.
- Then, find and click Update history.
- Afterward, click on Uninstall updates.
- Finally, click the Uninstall button next to the KB4592449 update.
Disable on-demand File Access
Disabling on-demand file access can help you repair Work Folder Sync Error 0x8007017c, especially after trying other troubleshooting steps, such as updating Windows and drivers. Here is how to do it.
- Press Windows + R at once, enter gpedit.msc, and hit Enter.
- Navigate to the following path:
User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Work Folders
- Click Work Folders and double-click on Specify Work Folders settings.
- Select the Enable radio button, then click Disable from the On-demand file access preference dropdown. Click Apply, then Ok to save settings.
- Lastly, restart PC.
In conclusion, you can resolve the Work Folder sync error 0x8007017c with easy steps. Whether you are tech-savvy or a rookie, these solutions are straightforward and results-oriented.
By following these steps, you can regain the functionality of Work Folders and ensure seamless file synchronization across your devices.