If nothing seem to work, simply install the updates manually
It is common knowledge that regular PC updates are essential for every Windows device because Microsoft constantly adds new features. However, many users have complained that they always encounter the 0x800f0845 error, making it impossible to install the much-needed updates.
The 0x800f0845 Windows update failed error can be caused by missing or damaged system files, corrupted Windows components, malware attacks, or interference from a third-party program. Regardless of the cause, this guide will provide practical steps to resolve this problem.
Some of the best ways to fix this problem are outlined below.
1. Run the Windows update troubleshooter
Running the Windows update troubleshooter should be the first step to take when trying to fix the 0x800f0845 error. This process will scan your PC for problems, fix them, then implement these fixes.
- Open your Settings by holding the Windows + I keys simultaneously.
- In the Settings menu, choose Update & Security.
- Select the Troubleshoot option on the left and click on Windows update on the right.
- Finally, click the Run the Troubleshooter option to begin the process.
- After the troubleshooting process is completed, check to see if the 0x800f0845 error has been fixed.
2. Run the SFC and DISM scan
Windows 11 includes utilities such as the SFC and DISM scans. These are useful command-line tools that will scan for and repair corrupt system files. The DISM will fix a corrupted Windows image and is your best bet if you have issues with Windows installation that cause the update error. You can run the scans by following the procedures below.
- Press Windows + R to open the Run dialogue, type cmd in the text field, then hold Ctrl + Shift + Enter to open the command prompt as an administrator.
- Once you are in the command prompt, input the command below and hit Enter.
- Allow this command to run, and once it is complete, paste the next command below.
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
- This process will fix and replace any corrupted or damaged file on your device.
3. Delete Windows update in safe mode
A computer operating system’s safe mode is a diagnostic tool that boots the operating system with a restricted set of drivers and services, which might be useful for troubleshooting issues that arise when the operating system boots normally. Removing updates in safe mode will remove all its files and registry, preventing the 0x800f0845 error.
- Reboot your system a few times until you enter an automatic repair screen.
- In the Troubleshoot window, select Advanced options.
- Next, choose Startup Settings.
- Press the F4 key to restart your system in Safe Mode.
- Once you are in Safe Mode, press Windows + I to open Settings.
- Navigate to the Update & Security section and pick View update history.
- Click on Update history and delete the KB405692 update.
4. Disable your antivirus temporarily
When you attempt to update your PC, your antivirus software may occasionally interfere with your actions. You can disable it and then restart your machine to check if you can successfully update Windows.
- Right-click on the Start icon and choose Task Manager.
- Navigate to the Startup tab, locate your antivirus software, right-click on it, and choose Disable.
- Restart your device and see if the Windows Update now works.
5. Roll back recent updates
Rolling back recent updates will help fix this error because it will take your system back to its normal state before a problematic program was added.
- Hold Windows + R together, type cmd, and press Ctrl + Shift + Enter simultaneously to open the command prompt with elevated privileges.
- Input the following commands and hit Enter after each one.
dism /image:d /remove-package
- After running these commands, reboot your PC to implement the changes and see if the problem has been fixed.
6. Reset Windows update components
Corrupted Windows components are another possible source of 0x800f0845 error on Windows. We recommend resetting every component of Windows Updates on your devices to see if there are any improvements.
- Press Windows + R, type cmd in the text field, and hold Ctrl + Shift + Enter to open the command prompt with administrative privileges.
- Input the following commands to end all useful Windows updates and hit Enter after each one.
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
- Input the commands below to rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folders.
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
- Next, input these commands again to restart the Windows updates you stopped earlier.
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
- After successfully re-enabling all the services, try installing your Windows updates again.
7. Manually install your Windows update
If the error persists after trying all the solutions outlined, we recommend installing your Windows update manually.
- Navigate to Microsoft’s Update Catalog official site.
- Input the required Update Code and press Enter.
- Look for a suitable version corresponding to your Windows OS and click the Download button to get it.
- Once the pop-up window appears, click the link to begin the Windows update.
To round up
We have been able to establish effective ways of repairing the 0x800f0845 Windows Update failed error and we hope that these steps help you resolve any problem you are facing on your device. If you have more questions, drop them in the comment section below.