Use the PowerShell to easily remove CastSrv.exe if you do not want it on your device
You are probably reading this article because you want to learn more about the CastSrv.exe file. If yes, you are in the right article, as we will go over everything you need to know about this process.
What is CastSrv.exe?
Castsrv.exe is an executable file that pertains to the casting protocol connection listener process that comes with the Microsoft Windows operating system software, responsible for receiving and sending media streaming requests from other devices.
Where is CastSrv.exe located?
The original location of the CastSrv.exe file is in the C:\Windows\System32 folder. This is the default location for the file. However, if you discover the file in a strange location, you should be careful as this could be a malware program disguised as the CastSrv.exe file.
Is CastSrv.exe Safe?
According to our findings, it is a legitimate file. Still, because some malware programs might disguise themselves as this file, we recommend verifying the location of the file to know if it is legitimate.
To check the location of the file, follow the steps below.
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open the Task Manager.
- Right-click on the executable file and choose Open file location.
- Check to see if the file is located in the C:\Windows\System32 folder. If it is, you have nothing to worry about, but if it is not, you should immediately scan your PC, as this could be a malware program.
How do I remove CastSrv.exe?
Use the Windows PowerShell
- Hold Windows + X simultaneously and select Windows PowerShell (Admin) from the list of options.
- Once you are in PowerShell, input the command below and hit Enter.
Get-AppxPackage *micrcast* | Remove-AppxPackage
- Running this program will remove CastSrv.exe from your device. We recommend creating a system restore point before this process if you encounter any problems after the uninstallation.
We hope that the information in this article was useful in helping you understand more about the CastSrv.exe file and how to easily uninstall it. If you have further questions, please tell us via the comment section below.