Comprehensive guide on how to change account name on Windows 11
With the fantastic features of Windows 11, it is now very easy to change your account name on Windows 11. This option will come in handy if you need to correct your name in case it is misspelled, you recently changed your name, or you want to make it a little more private.
In this guide, we will show you how to change and manage your account name on Windows 11, so ensure to stay to the end of this article.
1. Use the Settings app to change the account name
The Settings app provides a way to modify and manage your account name easily. This is your best bet if you want to change your account quickly.
- Press Windows + I to open the Settings app on your device.
- On the left pane, choose Accounts; on the right, select Your info.
- Select Manage my accounts under the Accounts section.
- Sign in with your information.
- Navigate to the Your info tab and click the Edit name option.
- Now input the new First and Last name, enter the Captcha, and click the Save button.
- Finally, reboot your device.
2. Utilize the control panel
The center of the Windows operating system is the Control Panel. The Control Panel gives users complete control over the OS, allowing them to customize everything from the operating system’s appearance to the associated devices.
Users can efficiently manage their user accounts and change their usernames among other customizations.
- Bring up the Search bar by holding the Windows + S keys simultaneously, type Control panel, and select the required option.
- In the View by section, choose Large icons, then click User Accounts.
- Next, select Change your account name.
- In the User Account Control (UAC) window, choose Yes.
- In the Type a new account name section, input your new username and hit the Change Name button.
- Sign out of your account to implement the change you just made. Once you sign in, the changes would have taken place.
3. Use the Run command
The Run command is a mighty utility that can be used to access any location whose path is known on your computer. Using the straightforward command netplwiz, which gives us access to the specific account management panel, we may use this application to view the User Accounts settings. You can quickly change your username from there by following the steps below.
- Press Windows + R to open the Run dialogue, type netplwiz in the text field, and hit Enter.
- Select Yes in the User Account Control (UAC) window.
- In the next window, choose the account that you want to make the username change, then select Properties.
- Go to the General tab and change the username to your preferred one.
- Finally, log out and log back in to implement this change. If you encounter problems with your command prompt, check out this article about How to Fix a Command Prompt That Keeps Crashing on Windows 11.
4. Utilize the Windows PowerShell
Windows PowerShell is a powerful utility built initially for IT administrators and programmers to use; however, anyone can easily use it due to its simplicity. You can make any adjustments to your Windows device using its built-in cmdlets or by building your own custom scripts. It also allows you to modify your username.
- Bring up the search bar by pressing Windows + S and type Windows PowerShell in the text field.
- Once in the Windows PowerShell, input the command below to get your current username.
- Enter your current username and the one you want to switch to by using the format below and hit Enter.
Rename-LocalUser -Name "Enter your current username" -NewName "Enter the new username"
5. Make use of Local User and Group Management Tool
This is the simplest method for changing your Windows username because it enables you to rename it just like you would a folder.
- Hold Windows + R to open the Run dialogue, type lusrmgr.msc in the text field, and hit Enter.
- Navigate to the Users tab on the left corner of the screen, and look for your account on the right pane.
- Right-click on your account and choose Rename.
- Finally, enter your new username.
We have comprehensively outlined various ways to change and manage your username on your device quickly. Ensure to follow these steps carefully to get a positive result.