A Comprehensive Review and Guide to Using the Dev Home App
Dev Home app is a new control center for Windows 11 for monitoring projects on a customizable dashboard using widgets. You can also organize your development environment by downloading apps, packages, or repositories, linking to your developer accounts and tools (like GitHub), and creating a Dev Drive for storage – all in one place.
The app can help you increase your productivity, improved your workflow and detect problems early. However, it is important to be aware of the potential downsides of using the app, such as the learning curve, resource usage, and compatibility issues. We will discuss how to install and use it.
How to download Dev Home app
- Open the Microsoft Store on your Windows 11 PC to download the Dev Home (Preview) app.
- Once you find it, click the Install button to start download.
- When it directs you to your Microsoft Store, click Get to install it.
- Wait for the installation to complete.
- If you get a UAC prompt from Windows, click Yes to confirm.
- Once the installation is complete, click the Windows icon, search for the Dev Home app, then click it to open it.
- Then, to set up a new machine or onboard a new project with Dev Home, select Machine configuration in the Dev Home app.
- Afterward, select the setup option you want.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup process.
Widgets on the Dev Home dashboard allow you to track and manage various aspects of your workflows. Out of the box, Dev Home offers widgets for:
- GPU: Keep an eye on your machine’s GPU performance.
- SSH keychain: View a list of available SSH connections in your ssh/.config file. Choose an SSH item to open the corresponding connection in Windows Terminal.
- Memory: Monitor your machine’s memory performance.
- Network: Track the performance of your machine’s network.
- CPU: Stay informed about your machine’s CPU performance.
- GitHub: Connecting your GitHub credentials to the Dev Home GitHub extension can unlock customizable widgets and notifications.
To create a Dev Drive in Windows 11 Insider Preview, you need at least 50GB of available space. You can only resize physical or standard virtual drives with over 50GB of space to create new Dev Drives. You can’t adjust the size of an existing Dev Drive. After creating the drive, initialize and format it to use it via File Explorer.
In the Machine configuration section, select the setup option you want:
- Click the End-to-end setup option and follow the wizard to clone repositories, install applications, and set up an unattended configuration of your device to start coding a project.
- Click the Configuration file option, select the YAML file, and follow the on-screen directions to complete the setup.
- You may also click the Clone repositories option and follow the wizard to clone repositories to your computer.
You may complete this step using either of the following ways:
- Click the Install applications option, select the applications you want to install, and click the Next button. Agree to the terms and click the Set up button to proceed with installations.
- Click the Add a Dev Drive option and follow the graphical interface to create a Dev Drive.
The widgets in the Dev Home system can help you monitor your computer’s performance in real-time. You can view information on the following:
- Memory: You can see how much memory your system is currently using, the total available memory, committed memory, cached memory, paged pool, and non-paged pool.
- Network: Bandwidth measurements are available, showing the total kilobits per second for both sending and receiving data, along with the network name.
- CPU: You can view the total utilization of your CPU, its speed, and the active processes.
- GPU: Information on the total utilization of your graphics card, its temperature, and the name of the graphics chip are also available.
In conclusion, the Dev Home app for Windows 11 is a comprehensive tool that helps developers create and optimize applications for the Windows platform. Its extensive features, intuitive interface, and valuable resources make it an indispensable companion for developers who want to build innovative apps with high performance.
By using the Dev Home app effectively, developers can unlock their inventiveness and provide outstanding experiences to users on Windows 11. To make the most of the Dev Home app, developers should familiarize themselves with the various sections and options available.