Troubleshooting and Resolving Exception_access_violation Errors on Windows 11
The exception_access_violation error indicates an attempted access of software to a memory without proper authorization. A user might experience this error during an application installation, gameplay, or when opening a file or document.
When a program does not have the proper read, write, or run permission, the system contains corrupted system files, such as system DLLs or registry entries, a malware infection, operating system bugs, faulty hardware, such as RAM, a program conflict or outdated or incompatible drivers, this problem may occur. The following fixes will resolve the error.
Update the OS
Performing an operating system update can fix the exception_access_violation error by updating system files, patching security vulnerabilities, and improving operating system stability. If an outdated operating system is the cause of the error, this solution will fix it. The following steps show how to update the OS:
- Firstly, press the Windows + I keys together to open Settings or open by clicking the Windows icon on the Taskbar.
- Then click the Windows Update option and the Check for updates button to find new updates.
- If Windows has the latest update, it will automatically detect it. Follow the instructions to update Windows.
- Finally, restart your computer.
Perform system drivers update
Performing a system driver update helps to install the latest driver versions for your hardware devices. This solution can help fix the exception_access_violation error if the issue is from outdated, corrupted, or missing drivers. Here is how to update your driver:
- Hold the Windows and I keys simultaneously to launch the Settings window.
- Then, click the Windows Update option next.
- Afterward, select Advanced Options.
- Then, tap the Optional updates option next.
- Once the options open, expand the Driver Updates section, select the appropriate drive, Download & Install all the available updates.
- Lastly, restart your computer. Running through this process will prevent backgroundtaskhost exe from crashing.
Scan for virus
The Windows Security built-in security suite provides protection for your computer against viruses, malware, and other threats. It can help fix the exception_access_violation error by scanning your PC for malware and removing any infections it finds. Use the following steps to scan for malware:
- Hold the Windows + S keys down simultaneously, and type Windows Security in the search field. Then, open the Windows Security application.
- After opening, click on the Virus & threat protection option.
- Thirdly, click Scan options to see all available scans.
- On the next display, choose the Full scan option, then click Scan now to do a deep scan on your computer for viruses or malware.
Run the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool
Running the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool can help to fix the exception_access_violation error if the cause is a RAM issue. The Windows Memory Diagnostic built-in tool scans your computer’s RAM for errors. If the utility finds any errors, it will attempt to fix them. Here is how to use the tool:
- Click the Search icon on the Taskbar, enter memory diagnostic, and then click on the Windows Memory Diagnostic app to launch the tool.
- When the Windows Memory Diagnostic window opens, click Restart now and check for problems (recommended) to run diagnostics immediately.
- Allow the tool to check for memory problems.
- Afterward, Windows will display the test result for you.
Disable User Account Control
The User Account Control (UAC) security feature in Windows provides protection for your computer against unauthorized changes. It prompts users for permission when programs attempt to make changes to their computer. It can cause the exception_access_violation error by denying a program access to the system’s memory.
To disable UAC, follow these steps:
- Press the Windows and S keys simultaneously, enter Control Panel in the search field, and hit Enter to open it.
- Then, search for User Account Control in the search field available and click on Change User Account Control settings under Security and Maintenance.
- Finally, adjust the UAC slider to Never notify and click OK.
Perform an SFC scan to fix exception_illegal_violation
The System File Checker (SFC) scan is a Windows utility that scans for and repairs corrupted system files. It can help to fix several problems, including the exception_illegal_violation error. If the error arises from a corrupted system file, the SFC scan should fix the error.
Use the following steps to run the SFC scan:
- Press the Windows and S keys together and type cmd in the text field.
- Then, choose the Run as administrator option on the right side to start the Command Prompt with administrator privileges.
- Once the User Account Control prompts you, select Yes to continue.
- When the Command Prompt displays, enter the following command into the prompt and tap the Enter key to start an SFC scan:
- Once the scan is complete, copy and paste the command below and press the Enter key to run the command:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- Finally, it would be best to restart your computer to implement repairs.
Perform clean boot
A clean boot in Windows is a troubleshooting method that starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This process can help you to identify which driver or startup program is causing a problem. Performing a clean boot can help fix the problem by eliminating any conflicting software or service causing the error. Here is how to do it.
- Press the Windows and R keys at once to open the Run dialog, type msconfig, and hit Enter.
- Then, find the Services tab, click on it, and tick on the Hide all Microsoft services box.
- Click on the Disable all button and then click Apply.
- Select the Startup tab and then click Open Task Manager.
- Right-click the first enabled app on the Task Manager tab and select Disable.
- Finally, follow step 6 to disable all enabled applications one after the other.
- After disabling the apps, close Task Manager.
- Restart your PC.
- You may then follow the steps again. But this time, you will enable the apps.
In conclusion, the exception_access_violation error can be a perplexing roadblock. However, the knowledge and strategies outlined in this article will make you well-equipped to tackle the issue confidently. While error can arise from various sources, a systematic approach to problem-solving is your best bet.
Issues like exception_access_violation are not uncommon. Yet, patience, persistence, and the insights shared here can help you overcome these challenges and keep your Windows 11 system running smoothly. These troubleshooting techniques will help you have a more stable and error-free computing experience.