Deleting and creating a new FNIS data folder has been effective for most of our readers
Welcome to our top expert fixes for FNIS Error 76! The FNIS (Forensic Notes Information System) error can be a challenging problem to solve. It can cause your system to freeze, crash, or even experience data corruption.
In this guide, we’ll go through the best fixes for this error and show you how to get your system back up and running as quickly and efficiently as possible. We will also identify some causes of this error and what the problem even is that you should pay attention to it.
What is FNIS error 76?
FNIS error 76 is a generic “file not found” error that occurs when you try to use the Modify outfit Feature of FNIS.
The causes of this error may include:
- Incorrect Permissions: An incorrect permissions configuration on the FNI server folder can prevent FNIS from executing files.
- Corrupted FNIS Files: When the FNIS files are corrupt, it can cause FNIS error 76 to occur. This problem is often caused by running FNIS incorrectly, such as erroneously downloading or installing the latest version.
- Outdated FNIS Version: If FNIS is out-of-date, it can cause an error to occur.
- Conflict with Other Modifications: A discord between FNIS and another mod can cause the error.
- Missing dependencies: The error may also result from missing dependencies, meaning that one of the required files is missing from the game’s installation directory.
How do I fix FNIS error 76?
Before applying the solutions in this article, try these prefixes:
- Update FNIS: Update FNIS to the latest version. Updating FNIS to the current version can result in more stability and increase the compatibility between FNIS and the currently installed mods, thereby helping to resolve error 76 and any other FNIS-related issues.
- Delete the FNIS Output directory after each update: By deleting the FNIS Output directory, any residual files that may cause the issue are clear, and FNIS can continue its update process.
- Run FNIS as administrator: Running FNIS as administrator helps to ensure that FNIS has the necessary permissions to write and generate the BSA file. This workaround is especially helpful if you run FNIS on a Windows machine.
- Install the latest version of the .NET Framework: Installing the current version of the .NET Framework ensures that your application can access the current functionality and libraries available through its interface and provides the best system stability and performance.
1. Delete and create new folder
- Go to the FNIS data folder and make a backup copy of the entire folder—copy the folder and paste it elsewhere on your computer. This will allow you to restore your setup in case of any issues.
- Delete the existing FNIS data folder.
- Create a new FNIS data folder with the same name as the original.
- Re-run the FNIS GenerateFNISforUsers.exe to generate fresh FNIS data files.
- Restart your computer and try launching your game – the FNIS error should be gone.
2. Point the MO executable to the already existing folder
- Open Mod Organizer and select the profile you’re using.
- After that, click on the puzzle piece icon at the top left of the window to open the Mod List tab.
- Then, select the mod that contains the folder you want to use for FNIS.
- Click on the puzzle piece icon again, then select Open in Explorer to open the mod folder.
- Copy the path to the mod folder.
- e.g., C:\Games\Mod Organizer\mods\MyMod
- Then, go back to Mod Organizer and click on the gear icon at the top right of the window to open the Settings tab.
- Afterward, click on the Executables tab and find the FNIS executable.
- Click the … button next to the Binary field to open the file browser.
- Then, navigate to the folder where FNIS is installed and select the GenerateFNISforUsers.exe file.
- After that, add the following in the Arguments field:
-o:"[mod folder path]"
e.g. -o: "C:\Games\Mod Organizer\mods\MyMod"
- Lastly, click on OK to save the changes.
3. Perform SFC scan
- Start by clicking the Search icon on the taskbar and enter command prompt in the text entry.
- Now, right-click on Command prompt and select Run as administrator.
- To continue, click on Yes on the next prompt.
- When the Command Prompt opens, you should enter the following command and press the Enter key to run an SFC scan:
- After that, you will enter the command below and press the Enter key:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- Finally, it would be best to restart your computer to implement repairs.
4. Update Windows
- Firstly, press the Windows + I keys together to open Settings or open by clicking the Windows icon on the Taskbar.
- Then click the Windows Update option and the Check for updates button to find new updates.
- If Windows has the latest update, it will automatically detect it. Follow the instructions to update Windows.
- Finally, restart your computer.
In conclusion, following the steps outlined in this article, users will likely eliminate the problem and resume their gaming experience without issue. If none of the above solutions solve the problem, it is recommended to seek further professional help.
As always, it is important to keep your gaming computer up to date with the latest operating system versions and essential software to ensure the best performance and prevent future problems. To fix FNIS Error 76, we must ensure that FNIS works correctly with MO2 FNIS file redirection.