Reinstalling the Visual C++ redistributable packages should resolve this problem
When launching some applications or programs, you may get the MSVCR120 DLL Not Found or Missing error. Do not worry, as this is a common problem on Windows, and there are a variety of ways to fix it.
In this article, we will walk you through the steps to quickly resolve this error and also help you understand why the error keeps occurring to prevent it in the future.
What is msvcr120.dll?
Msvcr120 DLL is a Dynamic Link Library file connected to the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Packages. It helps get necessary information or resources from third-party applications or programs.
If the file is missing or damaged, it could result in problems with your games or any other dependent programs.
Why is msvcr120 DLL not found?
There are many factors behind this error. Some of the most common causes for this error are as follows:
- Missing DLL file – If the DLL file needed by a program is missing, you will encounter this error.
- Corrupt system files – Another reason you could be having this problem is as a result of a corrupt or damaged system file.
- Virus infection – If your computer is infected, you will encounter numerous problems, including the msvcr120 DLL error.
- Outdated operating system – Running on an outdated system will also make you have this error.
How do I fix a missing msvcr120 DLL?
1. Run the System File Checker scan
- Hold the Windows + R keys together to launch the Run dialogue, type cmd in the text field then hold Ctrl + Shift simultaneously and hit Enter. This will open the command prompt with administrative privileges.
- Type the command below into your command prompt.
sfc / scannow
- Running the SFC scan should help resolve the msvcr120 DLL not found error.
2. Reinstall the affected program
- Hold the Windows + R keys simultaneously to open the Run dialogue, type cmd in the text field and click Enter.
- Paste the command below in your command prompt.
- Click the application you want to remove and choose Uninstall.
- Reboot your device after the uninstallation is complete, then re-install the program again and check if the msvcr120 DLL error persists.
3. Reinstall the Visual C++ redistributable packages
- Navigate to the Visual C++ website to begin.
- Click the Download button.
- Click the boxes for VSU_4\vcredist_x64.exe and VSU_4\vcredist_x86.exe if your processor is 64-bit. If your device is running on a 32-bit processor, choose only the x86 version then click Next to start the download.
- After completing this process, check to see if the msvcr120 DLL problem has been fixed.
4. Copy the file from a trusted computer
- Get another device that runs on the same operating system as your computer.
- On the new system, hold the Windows + E keys simultaneously to open File Explorer, navigate to C:WindowsSystem32, and copy the file.
- Copy the file again and paste it to the same location (C:WindowsSystem32) on your computer.
- Run the program again and see if this process helped to fix the msvcr120 DLL not found error.
5. Re-register the file
- Hold the Windows + R keys to bring up the Run dialogue, type cmd in the text field, hold Ctrl + Shift then hit Enter to open the command prompt in administrator mode.
- In the command prompt, input the command below and press Enter. This will unregister the msvcr120.dll file from your device.
regsvr32 /u MSVCR120.dll
- Next, input the command below to re-register the msvcr120.dll file on your system.
- This process should help fix the msvcr120 DLL not found error.
6. Run a virus scan
The msvcr120 DLL error message might appear if a virus on your computer prevents the DLL file from being recognized. Even the virus itself may be responsible for the error.
This can be avoided by running a virus check on your entire Windows system. Although completion will take some time, it will be worthwhile. We advise looking through our list of the top ad-free antivirus programs for your device because Windows Defender might be unable to detect it.
The antivirus program’s instructions explain how to get rid of any malware that has been discovered. As soon as that’s done, restart your computer and try rerunning your program to see if it works.
In conclusion, following the steps in this article will help you quickly fix the msvcr120 DLL error and get your device running without any problems. If you will also like to automatically fix this problem, check out our list of the best DLL repair tools to help you accomplish this.