Using the offline installer is an effective way to overcome the Office error code 30174-4
Microsoft Office is a handy tool that helps users create professional documents and complete other essential tasks. Many users rely on this fantastic tool, however, many people have been complaining lately about facing an Office error code 30174-4. This error can stop you from installing and using MS Office, making it quite annoying for many users.
This error typically occurs when your firewall, antivirus, or proxy settings are stopping you from installing Microsoft Office. In this guide, we will show some easy steps to quickly resolve this issue.
Try these quick fixes before applying our more comprehensive solutions.
- Use a cable connection instead of a wireless network to install Office. By doing so, you can increase connection stability and reduce errors. Due to packet loss, wired connections are always more reliable than wireless ones. Reinstall Office after connecting your computer to the router using an Ethernet cable, and check to see whether the issue has been fixed.
- If the Office installation is failing, your network connection may not be functioning properly, or if you are linked to your work or school’s network, those networks may have network restrictions. We recommend changing your internet provider. If possible, connect your system to a different network connection.
If the step above does not work, try out the solutions below.
1. Temporarily disable antivirus and firewall
A firewall or antivirus program may occasionally interfere with the installation of Office and cause it to fail. Antivirus is raising a false positive that can be disregarded. In such circumstances, you can disable the firewall or antivirus software before installing Microsoft Office. Follow the steps below to do this.
- Press Windows + R to open the Run dialogue, type cmd in the text field, then hold Ctrl + Shift + Enter simultaneously to open the command prompt as an administrator.
- Once you are in the command prompt, input the command below to disable Windows Defender and hit Enter.
sc config WinDefend start= disabled
sc stop WinDefend
- To enable Windows Defender, input the command below.
sc config WinDefend start= auto
sc start WinDefend
2. Temporarily disable proxy
You might be having this problem because a proxy is enabled on your device. We recommend disabling any proxy on your system and then check if the error has been fixed. Follow the steps below to do this.
- Click the Windows button and select the Settings icon.
- Next, navigate to Network and internet > Proxy.
- Once you are on the Proxy page, disable the toggle for Automatically detect settings, turn off the Use setup script option, and lastly, disable Use a proxy server.
- After doing this, check if the Office error code 30174-4 persists.
3. Get Office using the offline installer
Microsoft Office typically needs to be installed on your PC with an active internet connection. However, if your internet connection is not functioning properly, you may have issues installing Office or encounter various errors. In this case, you can use the Offline Installer to bypass poor connectivity issues.
1.1 Install Office for Home
- Navigate to www.office.com and sign in with your account.
- Choose Install Office, if you have a subscription already, pick Install Office on the Installs page.
- Next, select Other options in the Download and install window.
- Click the checkbox to get the offline installer, pick the language, and choose Download.
- After the download is completed, launch File Explorer and locate the installation file. This will be a virtual drive.
- Click the virtual drive, then double-click on either the Setup32.exe (32-bit version of Office) or Setup64.exe (64-bit version) to begin the installation.
1.2 Install Office for Business
Your IT administrator is in charge of installing Microsoft Office on your computer if it belongs to a business. In order to download and install Office 365 offline, IT administrators will need to use the Office Deployment Tool.
- Create a new folder on your system hard drive and name it ODT.
- Next, get the deployment Tool from the Microsoft Download Center, choose Save As, and save the tool in your downloads folder.
- Now, double-click the Office Deployment Tool exe file to install it on your system.
- Select Yes in the UAC prompt, agree to Microsoft Software License Terms, and then click Continue.
- Lastly, in the Browse for Folder dialog, choose the ODT folder you created earlier, then click OK.
We have come to the end of this article and we hope that you have been able to follow the steps outlined above to resolve the Office error code 30174-4. If you have further questions, reach out to us via the comment section below.