Uncovering the Mystery of Poqexec.exe and How to Get Rid of It!
Poqexec.exe is an executable and critical system file for the Windows operating system. Because of the importance of this file, we caution that you should not delete or remove it unless it is malware. Once you confirm it to be malware, you may remove it using reputable antivirus software.
Due to the essential nature of this process, we have put together safe steps that you can use to remove the file without causing problems for your PC. Once you discover a sudden spike in RAM usage and notice that the poqexec.exe process is responsible for that spike, use this guide to help you.
What is Poqexec.exe and what does it do on the Windows OS?
Poqexec.exe is a Windows operating system executable file responsible for managing, executing, and installing Windows updates and performing critical tasks related to Windows Store, starting up and running various applications such as Windows Live Photo Gallery, Writer, and Mail.
This executable file comes as part of Windows Essentials and runs in the background while the suite’s applications run. Have you ever wondered why Windows update automatically reboots your PC? This reboot happens because Windows updates cannot update the operating system and programs as it is running.
But how do they get installed? It happens because Windows uses an executable file that runs immediately after a restart. The executable file is the poqexec.exe (Primitive Operations Queue Executor). This file can be intensive on the PC’s resource usage.
How do I identify the legitimate Poqexec.exe files?
1. Check file in Windows Explorer
- Press Windows + E keys together to start File Explorer.
- Once it opens, go to the following path below:
- Then find the poqexec.exe file in the folder.
2. Use Task Manager
- Press ctrl + shift + esc keys simultaneously to open Task Manager.
- Under Processes, find the poqexec.exe process.
- Then, right-click on the process, and select Properties.
- Lastly, click on the Shortcut tab and tap Open File Location.
If the path origin of the file does not match
C:\Windows\System32\, we strongly recommend you apply a scan as directed in the solutions below.
What are some potential risks associated with Poqexec.exe?
Some of the potential risks associated with the poqexec.exe executable file may include the following:
- Malware and Spyware: The file could accidentally install malicious software such as malware and spyware on your computer.
- Data Theft: The executable file could be a tool to access confidential information stored on your computer.
- Unauthorized Access: This file could be instrumental to gain unauthorized access to your system and gain control of your system files.
- System Slowdown: The file could also bog down your system during a malfunction, slowing down your PC performance.
- System Instability: The file can cause system instability, and lead to application crashes, malfunctions, and errors.
How do I safely remove Poqexec.exe?
1. Restart your PC in Safe Mode
- Press the Windows+ I keys together to open your computer’s Settings.
- When it opens, click System on the left pane and Recovery.
- Once Recovery opens, under Advanced startup, click Restart now in the Recovery options section.
- When the Choose an option screen displays, select Troubleshoot from the menu options.
- Under Troubleshoot, select Advanced options.
- Afterward, select Advanced options to open other options. Now click Startup Settings.
- Once you have done that, click Restart.
- Finally, press 5 on your keyboard to start Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
2. Scan for virus
- In the search box, search for Windows Security.
- Click on the relevant search result to open the application.
- Now click Virus & threat protection.
- Next, click on the Scan option to view all available scans.
- Choose the Full scan option and click the Scan now button to do a deep scan on your PC for viruses or malware.
3. Run an SFC scan
- Press the Windows and S keys simultaneously and enter command prompt in the text field.
- Then, select Run as administrator on the right side to open Command prompt as an admin.
- When prompted, Click on Yes on the User Account Control prompt.
- When the Command Prompt opens, enter the following command and hit the Enter key to start an SFC scan:
- Afterward, enter the command below and press the Enter key to execute command:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- Finally, it would be best to restart your computer to implement repairs.
4. Disable the file manually
- Press ctrl + Shift + Esc to launch the Task Manager.
- Then, click the Details tab, find and right-click poqexec.exe and select End task.
- After that, navigate to the file location as described in this guide and delete the file.
5. Perform a system restore
- Firstly, press the Windows + R key combination to open the Run dialog on your PC and type
rstrui. Press Enter after to open it.
- Click on Choose a different restore point when the System Restore wizard opens.
- Then click on the Next button to continue.
- On the next window, choose your restore point and click Next.
- Allow the process to run and complete.
- Finally, click Finish when the restore is complete.
To conclude, Poqexec.exe is a program many software packages use to launch their services. It is essential to be aware of this program’s potential risks, as it can be difficult to remove and cause performance issues on your computer.
Still, with careful management and up-to-date security software, this program can be safely used and removed whenever necessary. This guide safely guides you through that process. Do not hesitate to contact Microsoft Support if you require further assistance.