You should verify the Steam servers are not down before jumping on any complex fixes
An error occurred adding this account is one of the most frustrating messages you can get on Steam while gaming. But don’t give up hope!
This article contains reasons why you may experience the error in the first place and solutions to get it fixed.
Why is Steam not letting me create an account?
Reasons you may not be able to create an account on Steam may include one or more of the following:
- Age requirement: You may not meet the minimum age requirement. Steam requires users to be at least 13 years old or older to create an account.
- Existing account: Secondly, Steam only allows one account per person and will not allow you to create another account if one already exists.
- Wrong detail format: When you don’t follow a specified format given by Steam, an error can occur, such as an error occurring when setting account details.
- Blocked email: Also, Steam may block your email due to suspicious activity or a violation of their Terms of Service.
- Blocked IP address: In another vein, Steam may deny your IP address access due to suspicious activity or a violation of their Terms of Service.
- Flagged account: Steam may outrightly flag your account due to suspicious activity, such as attempting to create multiple accounts or violating the Terms of Service.
- Incorrect information: You may also have entered invalid or inaccurate data while creating your account.
- VPN Use: You may have used a VPN or proxy to create the account. Steam does not allow users to use a VPN or proxy to create an account.
How do I fix an error occurred adding this account in Steam?
Before trying any of the solutions below, you may want to try the following preparatory solutions:
- Restart Steam: Starting Steam may ensure minor glitches are killed and it is in the best state.
- Restart PC: Restarting your computer can help improve performance by clearing out any programs or processes running in the background and taking up memory or processing power. It can also help to troubleshoot any errors or issues that may be occurring.
- Disable VPN: You can also disable any available VPN. Disabling the VPN when troubleshooting Steam can help ensure that your connection is not being routed through a network, causing issues.
- Check internet connection: Bad internet can lead to many network-related issues. Make sure your internet is stable and functioning correctly.
- Reinstall app: You may also need to reinstall Steam or Windows update. Reinstalling an app when troubleshooting Steam can help to resolve any issues you may be having with the app, such as game crashes, connection issues, or any other technical problems.
1. Confirm Steam server is not down
- Open a new tab on your browser after you open your browser.
- Navigate to Down detector server status page for Steam to see if there are any problems with the Steam server.
- Then, check for User reports indicate no current problems at Steam status report. If you see this message, the servers are ok; if not, there is an issue. If there are issues, wait for the server to return to normalcy and start Steam.
- You can also check for server outage reports on the Steam outages reported in the last 24 hours chart. This chart will show you the server downtimes over 24 hours accordingly.
2. Run Steam as an Administrator
- Launch Steam on your computer.
- Then, press the crtl + shift + esc keys to open the Task Manager.
- Under the Processes tab, find Steam. Right-click on the Steam app and click on Properties.
- Then, click the Compatibility tab and select Run this program as an administrator.
- After that, click Apply and OK to save settings.
3. Reset Steam password
- Begin by opening the Steam webpage on your browser.
- Then click on the login option.
- When the login page opens, select the Help, I can’t sign in option under the Sign in button.
- Follow the instructions to reset your password accordingly.
4. Add a launch parameter
- Firstly, right-click on Steam on your desktop and select Properties.
- Once you open Properties, click on the Shortcut tab.
- After that, click in the Target field, place the pointer after the quotation mark, hit the space bar and add the code below after the quotation mark:
- Once that is complete, click on Apply and then Ok.
- Finally, restart Steam.
5. Run the System File Checker (SFC)
- Click the Search icon on the Taskbar and enter cmd in the text field.
- Select Run as administrator to run the commands as an admin.
- When prompted by the UAC, click Yes to continue.
- Once Command Prompt opens, you should enter the command below and press the Enter key to run the System File Checker tool scan:
- Finally, let the scanning process complete, then restart your computer to implement repairs.
The troubleshooting process for an “An Error Occurred Adding this Account in Steam” error can be complicated and time-consuming. However, by following the steps outlined in this guide, you should be able to resolve the issue quickly and get back to gaming.
If none of the above solutions worked, you may need to reinstall Steam or contact Steam Support for further assistance.