Troubleshoot Your Way to Easier Updating and Enjoy Your Discovered Game!
Welcome to this article on fixing the dreaded an error occurred while updating your Steam game! This article should give you all the information you need to troubleshoot any errors relating to the service update.
We’ll quickly guide you through some of the most common causes of update errors and share solutions to fix them. So, keep reading on, and get up to speed with the fixes – your game awaits you!
What causes an error occurred while updating your Steam game?
This error has several causes, and some of these causes may include the following:
- Corrupt game files: Your game files may have become corrupt for several reasons, including hardware failure or malware infection.
- Incompatible drivers: Having old or incompatible drivers installed can cause issues with certain games.
- Poor Internet connection: If your Internet connection is intermittent or slow, then it’s possible Steam cannot download updates.
- Issues with Steam servers: If Steam has server issues, your game will not update until you resolve the issue.
- Inadequate hard drive space: You may not have enough disk space to download the necessary game files.
- Antivirus program blocking: Your antivirus program or firewall may stop Steam from downloading updates.
- Wrong regional settings: Steam may not be able to detect the region of your game files due to incorrect regional settings.
- Outdated Steam version: An outdated Steam version may not be able to detect and install correct updates.
How do I fix an error occurred while updating your Steam game?
As you move to apply the solutions that we have provided below, try the following checks before you begin:
- Restart Steam: Restarting Steam can clear the app’s memory and reset its processes, which can help resolve conflicts and errors.
- Temporarily disable antivirus: Antivirus software can sometimes interfere with installing or updating games in Steam. If your antivirus software interferes with Steam or the game installation, you may be unable to update or launch the game.
- Check your internet: If your internet connection is too slow, it can cause the server not to have enough time to download the update fully.
- Update Steam: By updating Steam, you ensure that the system installs any new game files necessary to run the game correctly and that existing game files are clean.
1. Update graphics driver
- Firstly, press the Windows + I keys together to open Settings or open by clicking the Windows icon on the Taskbar.
- Then click the Windows Update option and the Check for updates button to find new updates.
- Now click on Advanced Options.
- Then click on the Optional updates section.
- Finally, select the Driver Updates section and Download and Install all the available updates.
- The driver will start to download. Allow the process to complete.
- Finally, restart your PC.
2. Do disk cleanup
- Press the Windows + E keys to open File Manager and click on This PC.
- Then, right-click on the C: drive and select Properties from the drop-down options.
- Click the General tab on the new window and click on the Cleanup button.
- In the next box, select the data you want to clean by checking their boxes and then click OK.
3. Verify that the Steam server is not down
- Open your browser on your computer.
- Go to the Down detector server status page for Steam to see if there are any problems with the Steam server.
- Then, check for User reports indicate no current problems at Steam status report. If you see this message, the servers are ok; if not, there is an issue. If there are issues, wait for the server to return to normalcy and start Steam.
- You can also check for server outage reports on the Steam outages reported in the last 24 hours chart. This chart will show you the server downtimes over 24 hours accordingly.
4. Scan for virus
- In the search box, search for Windows Security.
- Click on the relevant search result to open the application.
- Now click Virus & threat protection.
- Next, click on the Scan option to view all available scans.
- Choose the Full scan option and click the Scan now button to do a deep scan on your PC for viruses or malware.
5. Clear Steam Cache
- First, launch the Steam app on your PC.
- Click on Steam to access the options accordingly.
- Then, find and click on Settings on the Steam menu bar.
- After that, click Downloads on the left pane.
- Then, click on the Clear Download Cache button to clear cache.
- Finally, start Steam games and verify that the issues of Steam not working after a Windows update is fixed.
In conclusion, the “Steam error occurred while updating” problem can be a challenging problem to solve. However, applying the solutions above with some patience will help to solve the problem.
It is crucial to understand the source of the problem, examine the system, check for updates, and try some of the troubleshooting steps outlined in this article. You can fix the problem and update your Steam game with these methods.