Running a system scan will definitely help fix this problem
Are you looking for how to fix Steam error 29? Like you, many gamers worldwide face this problem on their Steam client, and this can be a pretty frustrating error to tackle.
However, in this article, we will go over the steps to overcome this annoying issue so you can enjoy your favorite games without no problem.
What does Steam error 29 mean?
Steam error 29 is an error code that appears when you try to purchase your Steam account. It usually comes with an error message that reads There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance.
This error can occur due to different reasons, such as:
- Restrictions on Steam account – You can encounter this error if there are suspensions or restrictions on your account.
- Virus attack – If a virus or malware has infected your device, you will get many errors, including Steam error 29.
- Problems with Steam server – If there are issues with the Steam server, you will also encounter Steam error 29.
- Internet problem – You will encounter this error if your network connection is weak or unstable.
- Problem with payment method – If there is an issue with the method of payment you are using, you will encounter this error.
- Steam blocked by Firewall – If Steam is blocked by a Firewall, you will get this error message.
Now that we know some of the major causes of the Steam error 29 let us explore some of the ways to fix this problem.
How do I fix the Steam error 29?
Before attempting the primary solutions, quickly try out these quick fixes:
- Restart your Steam client – Restarting your Steam client can help resolve many issues, including the Steam error 29.
- Verify your connection – Check to see if your network connection is strong and stable, as a weak connection could cause this problem.
Now you can proceed to the detailed solutions we have below.
1. Allow the Firewall to run Steam
- Hold the Windows + S keys together to open the search bar.
- In the search bar, type Firewall and choose Open.
- Next, click the Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall link on the left-hand side.
- Now, choose the Change Settings button to modify Firewall permissions.
- Go down and select the Public and Private checkboxes.
- Finally, click the OK button to apply the changes.
- Check to see if this process has fixed the Steam error 29.
2. Disable conflicting applications
- Launch the Run dialogue box by holding the Windows + R keys simultaneously.
- In the input field, type msconfig and hit Enter.
- Navigate to the Services tab and uncheck the box next to the Hide all Microsoft Services option.
- Now, click the Disable all button.
- Next, navigate to the Startup tab and choose Open Task Manager.
- Now, select all the apps in this menu one after the other and click the Disable button.
- Continue this process until you have disabled all the applications in this menu.
- Finally, restart your device and check if Steam error 29 has been fixed.
3. Modify host files
- Hold Windows + E simultaneously to open File Explorer.
- Navigate to the path below.
- Open the host file in administrator mode.
- Remove every item from the host file except 127.0.0.1 localhost.
- After going through this process, launch Steam again and check if the error has been fixed.
4. Perform a system scan
- Hold the Windows + S keys together to bring up the search bar.
- Input Windows Security in the search bar and click Open.
- Choose Virus and threat protection.
- In the Virus and threat protection, choose Scan options.
- Next, choose Full scan then hit the Scan now button.
- After the scan is complete, check to see if the error persists
In conclusion, following the steps highlighted in this article will help you resolve the Steam error 29 issue and get your device running smoothly in no time.