Following these steps will allow you use the Nearby sharing feature to send and receive files seamlessly
The Windows 11 nearby sharing feature has become popular over the years because of its usefulness and effectiveness. This feature uses a Bluetooth and wireless communication combo, enabling you to send files, links, and other content to nearby compatible devices.
This feature is not a new addition to Windows, it has been available since Windows 10 but because Windows 11 comes with a slightly different interface, setting up this feature is quite different. Stay with us as we explore this excellent feature and educate you on how to effectively enable and use the tool.
How to Turn on Nearby Sharing on Windows 11
- Open the Settings app by holding Windows + I simultaneously.
- Navigate to the System tab and select the Nearby sharing option.
- Next, choose My devices only or Everyone nearby to enable the Nearby sharing feature. Choosing My device only will permit you to share files across PC sharing the same Microsoft account, while picking Everyone nearby allows sharing with any nearby device.
How to Use Nearby Sharing on Windows 11
1. Sending or receiving a link with Nearby Share
- Open Microsoft Edge on your device.
- Go to the web page you want to share.
- Right-click on the page and pick the Share option.
- Next, choose the Windows share options.
- Now, pick the device you want to send the link to.
- A pop-up menu will appear on the receiving device, click Open.
- Doing this will open the link automatically on the receiving computer.
2. Send or receive files with Nearby Share
- Press Windows + E simultaneously to open the File Explorer.
- Look for the required file, select it, and choose the Share icon from the command bar at the top of the window.
- Choose the device you want to transfer the file to under the Nearby sharing section.
- When the pop-up notification comes up on the receiving device, select either the Save & open or Save option to complete the transfer.
3. Send files from Android to Windows 11
- Choose the file you want to send on your Android device and click the Share button.
- Select Nearby Share.
- Choose the name of your Windows 11 device from the list of options.
- In the pop-up menu on your Windows device, click Accept to get the file.
- A green checkmark will appear on your Android device to show that the transfer was successful. You can then click Done to finish.
Add Nearby Sharing Button to Quick Settings in Windows 11
- Open the Quick Settings panel by pressing Windows + A together.
- Select the pencil icon in the lower-right corner of your screen.
- Next, click Add and select Nearby sharing.
- Select Done to register the changes you made.
Using the Windows 11 Nearby sharing feature is an efficient way of transferring files and other documents from one device to another and following the instructions outlined in this guide will help you achieve a positive result while using this tool.
If you have further questions or need more clarification, tell us in the comment section below.