Using the Settings app is the simplest way to resolve this issue
On most laptops, the touchpad is a crucial input device that allows you to control the cursor on your computer and carry out several different tasks. How quickly the touchpad reacts to your touch depends on its sensitivity. The cursor may move erratically if the Windows 11 touchpad sensitivity settings are set too high, or you might need to press firmly on the touchpad to move it if the sensitivity is too low.
Deciding on your Windows 11 touchpad sensitivity settings is a personal choice and varies for individuals. However, Microsoft has provided a wide range of options. This guide will walk you through the various ways to modify your touchpad sensitivity settings to suit your preferences.
1. Modify touchpad sensitivity with the settings app
The Settings app is a built-in Windows application that allows you to make several changes to your computer settings, including touchpad settings. Follow the steps below to use this application.
- Press Windows + I to open the Settings app.
- From the left side of your screen, choose Bluetooth & devices, and click Devices on the right.
- Go down and click Touchpad.
- Click the Taps option to expand it.
- From the drop-down menu, select your preferred option. If you are not sure, you can try various options till you find one that suits you.
2. Make use of the control panel
Another Windows feature you can use to examine and modify system settings is the control panel. It serves as a hub through which you can access and control many different options, including touchpad settings. The steps below will guide you on how to use this feature.
- Press Windows + R to open the Run dialogue, type control panel in the text field, then click Enter.
- In the View by section, choose Large icons, then select Mouse from the list of options.
- Navigate to the Pointer Options tab, then use the slider to either increase or decrease the pointer sensitivity (slide left to decrease, and right to increase sensitivity). You can also click the Enhance pointer precision for better accuracy.
- Click Apply and OK to finish the process.
3. Make use of the registry editor
The Windows registry is a database that stores configuration settings for Windows and installed applications, and the editor allows you to view and make changes to this database. This can be quite useful when you want to adjust touchpad sensitivity.
- Hold Windows + R to open the Run dialogue, type regedit in the text field, then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter simultaneously to open the editor as an administrator.
- Navigate to the path below.
- Locate the AAPThreshold option and double-click on it.
- In the Value data field, enter a number from 0 – 3 (0 being the most sensitive while 3 is the least sensitive) then click OK.
- Lastly, reboot your PC to implement these changes.
Touchpads for laptops are made usable by various people, and choosing the appropriate touchpad sensitivity is crucial to having a relaxing and effective user experience. If you need more information, contact us via the comment section below.
Check out the linked article if you want to know about the shortcuts available on a Plex keyboard.