Decoding Windows Update Challenges: A Comprehensive Guide to Resolving Error 0x80246017
The Windows Update error 0x80246017 commonly occurs when trying to update your Windows operating system. This error occurs when your system has an incorrect date and time, problems with Windows Update services, corrupt Windows update database, or third-party software interference.
If you are experiencing this error, there are a few solutions to try. We will discuss them in this article. Despite the availability of a few solutions, several users report that deleting previous Windows files is effective. Our article on the 0x80042001 Windows update error may also be valuable to you.
1. Remove previous Windows Installation files
Removing previous Windows installation files can fix Windows Update error 0x80246017 by freeing up disk space and eliminating potential conflicts. These files take up space and may cause issues with Windows Update if corrupted or damaged.
To delete these files, just do the following:
- Press the Windows key, enter Command Prompt in the text field, then select Run as administrator on the right side to open the Command prompt as an admin.
- When prompted, Click on Yes on the User Account Control prompt.
- When the Command Prompt opens, enter the command below and hit the Enter key:
rundll32.exe pnpclean.dll,RunDLL_PnpClean /DRIVERS /MAXCLEAN
- Afterward, press the Windows and S buttons together on your keyboard and search for the Control Panel.
- Then, click on the app to open it.
- On the top right corner, type File Explorer options in the search entry and open it.
- Then, navigate to the General tab.
- Now select Clear and then click on the OK option.
2. Set the Date, Time and Time zone
Setting your PC’s date, time, and time zone on your computer can resolve Windows Update error 0x80246017. This error occurs when Windows Update fails to download and install updates accurately due to inaccurate system time information.
The synchronization between Windows Update and Microsoft’s update servers may be affected if the system time is incorrect. Set the accurate date, time, and time zone with the following steps:
- Press the Windows + I keys together to open Settings.
- When the Settings window opens, click on Time & language.
- Then, click Date & time on the right pane.
- After that, toggle the Set time automatically switch on to allow the computer to the set time and date according to your location.
- Also, toggle the Set time zone automatically switch on to allow the computer to set the time zone according to your location.
3. Run the Windows Update troubleshooter
The Windows Update troubleshooter is valuable in identifying and resolving common problems that occur with Windows updates. It can particularly help in dealing with error 0x80246017, caused by several issues such as network connectivity problems, corrupted update files, or compatibility conflicts.
Here is how to run the Windows Update troubleshooter:
- Firstly, open the computer’s Settings by pressing the Windows key + I together.
- Then, click on System on the left pane.
- After that, click on Troubleshoot and select Other troubleshooters.
- When you see the list, select Windows Update from the available options and click the Run button.
- Finally, allow the Windows Update troubleshooter to run for a while to scan and detect the issues in your computer.
- Finally, select the appropriate response when prompted.
4. Delete Temporary files via Settings
Deleting temporary files through Settings can troubleshoot Windows Update error 0x80246017. Accumulated temporary files can sometimes become corrupted and interrupt system functions, including Windows Update.
Here’s how to delete temporary files via Settings:
- Begin by clicking the Start button and then selecting Settings.
- Then click on System on the left pane options.
- After that, click on Storage, which will show you what is consuming your disk space.
- Click on Temporary files. If not visible, click Show more categories to make it visible.
- The Temporary files page exposes the temporary files on your PC. Check all the boxes and then click Remove files.
5. Check the status of some crucial Windows Services
When encountering Windows Update error 0x80246017, verify the status of specific critical Windows Services. This error often suggests problems with the services that handle Windows updates. Ensuring these services are operating correctly can help identify potential issues and help take appropriate measures to address them.
Here is how to use this solution:
- Press the Windows + R keys simultaneously, type services.msc, and press Enter.
- Then, find the Windows Update service, double-click it, ensure it is running, and change the Startup type to Manual.
- Afterward, find the Background Intelligent Transfer Service, double-click it, check that it is running, and set the Startup type to Manual.
In conclusion, dealing with Windows Update errors can be challenging, and the elusive 0x80246017 is no exception. This guide can give you the top five solutions to resolve the issue. Applying these solutions can resolve the issue and pave the way for a more efficient and trouble-free Windows Update experience.
Whether resetting update components, as discussed in fixing Windows update error with code 0x8024000f, checking system files, or using troubleshooting tools, each solution is a crucial step towards a seamless update process. Leave us a comment below on your experience with this guide.