A few reasons exist why you might want to remove common program groups from the Start menu on your Windows 11 PC. Those reasons may include decluttering the Start menu, improving its performance, and customizing it to your preferences.
The more apps you install, the more Windows clogs your Start menu with apps. Although they may be an easy way to navigate through programs, they may congest the menu, and not every user likes this. Below are some methods to declutter your Start menu.
The Group Policy Editor tool allows users to configure several settings on Windows computers. This tool is beneficial for removing common program groups from the Start menu. To do this, you can use the following policy setting:
- Press the Windows + R keys simultaneously to start the Run dialog, and enter gpedit.msc into the text field and click OK.
- When in the Local Group Policy Editor window, navigate to the following path:
User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Start Menu and Taskbar
- Then, double-click the Remove common program groups from Start Menu policy setting.
- Select the Enabled option, click Apply, and OK to save changes.
- Finally, restart your PC.
2. Remove common program groups from the Start menu using the Registry Editor
The Registry is a database that stores all Windows settings, like programs, hardware, and the user interface settings. It is useful for removing common program groups from the Start menu by editing a specific key in the Registry. The following steps show how to do this:
- Press the Windows + R keys simultaneously to start the Run dialog, enter regedit into the text field, and click OK.
- Click Yes if you receive a prompt.
- Once the Registry Editor opens, go to the following path:
- Double-click the NoCommonGroups entry if available, but if not, right-click a space, hover over the New option, click DWORD (32-bit Value), and give it that name.
- Then, double-click it, set the Value data entry to
0to disable it, click OK to save changes, and close the Registry Editor.
In conclusion, we explored the top two methods to remove common program groups from Start menu. You can enhance your productivity and easily access important applications by organizing your Start Menu and keeping it tidy.
Remember that personalization is key to your computer, and these methods allow you to tailor your Start Menu to suit your needs. So, take a few minutes to declutter your Start Menu, and enjoy a cleaner and more efficient Windows experience.